9 Ways Seniors and Elderly Can Increase Their Joy In LifePosted on December 19, 2014 by ElderCare Resources in Activities of Daily Living, Blog, Healthy Living, Independent Living, Senior Living
Staying healthy as you age: Tips for finding meaning and joy
A key ingredient in the recipe for healthy aging over 50 is the continuing ability to find meaning and joy in life. As you age, your life will change and you will gradually lose things that previously occupied your time and gave your life purpose. For example, your job may change, you may eventually retire from your career, your children may leave home, or other friends and family may move far away. But this is not a time to stop moving forward. Later life can be a time of exciting new adventures if you let it.
Staying healthy over 50 means finding activities that you enjoy
Everyone has different ways of experiencing meaning and joy, and the activities you enjoy may change over time. If your career slows down or you retire, or if your children leave home, you may find you have more time to enjoy activities outside of work and immediate family. Either way, taking time to nourish your spirit is never wasted.
If you’re not sure where to get started, try some of the following suggestions:
- Pick up a long-neglected hobby or try a new hobby
- Play with your grandkids, nieces, nephews, or a favorite pet
- Learn something new (an instrument, a foreign language, a new game)
- Get involved in your community (volunteer or attend a local event)
- Take a class or join a club
- Travel somewhere new or go on a weekend trip to a place you’ve never visited
- Spend time in nature (take a scenic hike, go fishing or camping, enjoy a ski trip)
- Enjoy the arts (visit a museum, go to a concert or a play)
- Write your memoirs or a play about your life experiences
The possibilities are endless. The important thing is to find activities that are both meaningful and enjoyable for you.
Thank you to HelpGuide.org